Although the purpose of the MVHSTAs is to celebrate, support and advocate for high school theatre in our area, the process of selecting (2) student to send to New York city is competitive and contains an additional selection process. Rules and regulations for the program may be found at jimmyawards.com.
Please note that students will be selected from the MVHSTA “Lead Actor / Actress In A Musical” categories, even though the NHSMTA language now uses “Qualifying Role” to denote the category.
To be eligible for the NHSMTA program, student performers must qualify by:
1. Performing a qualifying role in an approved musical. This list is available on the jimmyawards.com.
2. Being available to perform at the MVHSTA Awards Showcase on Tuesday, June 9, 2020.
3. Receiving one of the top 6 adjudicated scores of “Outstanding” in the “Lead Actor/Actress in a Musical” category in their MVHSTA-nominated performance.
4. Being conflict-free and available for all days during the NHSMTA week, tentatively scheduled for Monday, June 15-Tuesday, June 23, 2020* in New York City.
5. Attend a 1-day workshop with theatre professionals on Saturday, May 16, 2020 at the PNC Arts Annexin downtown Dayton.
The MVHSTA Team reserves the right to determine performance readiness of all qualifying students. After the workshop on May 16, 2020, the MVHSTA Team and panel of theatre professionals will use all available information including scores, experience, behavior, investment, and skill to determine who will be selected to attend The Jimmy Awards®. Adjudicator scores are only one factor in determining selection.
*This information is subject to change.